General InfoBrightness controller is a small tool that allows the user to adjust the backlight brightness of Apple Displays on a Windows PC.
I only own a 27" Cinema Display and have to rely on the users to do the testing for other displays.
Brightness controller has been tested on Windows 7 and 8 in both 32 and 64bit. But it should also work fine on Windows Vista. It also supports multiple displays at once.
Currently supported displays27" Apple Thunderbolt Display
27" Apple LED Cinema Display
24" Apple LED Cinema Display
23" Apple Cinema Display HD (Acrylic frame)
20" Apple Cinema Display (Aluminum frame)
20" Apple Cinema Display (Acrylic frame)
I will try to update it to support additional models but i will need help from other users who have different screen types.
If you wan't to contact me about feature requests or wan't to help adding aditional display models then contact me on Google+ or in this [H]ard|Forum thread or create a issue in the issue tracker.
DownloadsDownload version 1.4.4
Download older versions
DonationsIf you like the tool please donate for further development.
1.4.4 - 11/02-2013- Fixed a rare bug where a corrupted user configuration file caused a crash during startup.
1.4.3 - 03/12-2012- Fixed bug where the main windows was opened behind other open windows.
1.4.2 - 18/10-2012- Added support for 20" Cinema Display with acrylic frame.
- Enabled multi screen support.
- Fixed system tray right click menu position when DPI scaling is higher than 100%.
- Lots of code changes including improved threading and performance.
- Fixed some power management issues that might prevent the PC from going to sleep.
- Brightness controller now requires .net 4.5 installed.
1.3.1 - 09/09-2012- Added support for 20" Cinema Display with aluminum frame.
- Merged brightness control logic for all displays.
- Smoother brightness change when keeping shortcut buttons pressed.
1.2.3 - 20/08-2012- Added support for 23" Cinema Display HD with acrylic frame.
- Fixed startup crash with 24" Cinema Display.
- Improved numeric inputs so letters can't be pasted.
- Layout adjustments, spelling fixes, better error messages.
1.1.0 - 13/08-2012- The step size of the increase/decrease Hotkeys can now be adjusted.
- Added profiles that allow the user to set the brightness to a specfied values.
- Redesigned options.
- Improved error handeling.
1.0.1 - 15/06-2012- Fixed detection of 27" Thunderbolt Display.
1.0.0 - 14/06-2012- Added support for 24" Cinama Display.
- Added support for 27" Thunderbolt Display.
- Added tooltip when moving the slider.
0.9.0 - 12/05-2012- Collect data about HID devices to add support for more screens.
- Removed the last references to windows forms.
0.8.0 - 07/04-2012- More keys allowed as hotkeys.
- Added support for direct Hotkeys without any modifier keys.
- Improved Update checking and added fallback sites.
- Lots of changes behind the scenes like improved threading and preperations for future multi monitor support.
0.7.1 - 19/03-2012- Fixed bug where disabled Hotkeys could not be enabled.
0.7.0 - 19/03-2012- USB changes to allow the program to be compiled for both x86 and x64.
- Settings are now upgraded from previous versions.
- Options window now opens centered on main window.
- No longer installs in "Program Files (x86)" on x64 systems.
- Added Supports for fast user switching.
- Fixed a crash bug that occured when opening about box from system tray.
- Installer now detects if program is running.
0.6.0 - 15/03-2012- Hotkeys can be individually enabled or disabled.
- New Hotkey for turning off the display.
- Improved asynchronous update checking.
- Added in app and web donation buttons.
- Lots of code cleanup.